Friday, March 27, 2009

$4.50 Friday - Chicken Pot Pie

Okay girlies well I do love to stretch a buck but last night I also needed to stretch my time. I didn't have much of it.
I would also like to remind you, that you can have "Big" meals on this budget but unfortunately this is a lighter one. If I had a larger family I would probably need two pies, and could probably still be very close to budget. We have loved this meal since our early married days, and its still a very favorite of Nicks.

Easy Peasy Pot Pie

I pkg onion soup mix (.25) I buy a box for a dollar.
1/2 pkg mixed frozen vegetables (.75)
1 frozen pie crust (.75)
Anytype of leftover meat from night before 1-2 cups chopped($1.00)
we frequently do chicken, pork, or even steak
2 cups milk (.50)

total for one pie $3.25, a double crust pie $4.00

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Heat up milk and soup mix in a small saucepan for several minutes until mixed well and a little bubbly.
If your doing double crust lay down first one, place veggies, and meat mixed in pie plate. I made this one a double crust, because my crust was crumbling.
If you have more time you could much cheaper make your own crust, and make two pies still in budget!
Then pour the milk/soup mixture over it.
Place crust on top, and seal, creating a slit to breathe on top
Bake for 20 minutes.
Wahlah...






This is perfect for quick dinners before bible study, sport nights, etc. I also plan this into my week to really stretch my dinner budget I normally snag the extra dollar for a night with company over etc.

1 comment:

have a lovely said...

leslie...this sounds fantastic! a must-try!!